Which one should you opt for: Bes870XL vs Bes860XL?
Both Bes870XL and Bes860XL belong to the Barista Express series of Breville, so they share a lot of things in common, from the dimension to how they work to make a cup of espresso.
Read our comparison of Breville Bes870XL vs Bes860XL to know which one to choose.
Differences Between Breville Bes870XL and Bes860XL
Design and Convenience
At first sight, the Bes870XL and Bes860XL look quite similar. Both of them feature a stainless steel case along with a plastic lid. You can see a pressure gauge, a LED light, as well as a knob on the front panel of both models. Nonetheless, there are still some differences in the design.
The Bes860XL has a dimension of 13.25 x 11.5 x 14.5 inches and a weight of 22 pounds.
Meanwhile, the Bes870XL measures 13.25 x 12.5 x 14.5 inches and weighs about 23 pounds. On top of that, its coffee bean hopper has steeper sides so that you can feed the beans into the machine more easily.
You see, the Breville Bes870XL has been redesigned for the better. Obviously, it offers more convenience for users, which means it hands down wins this round.
As mentioned above, the Bes870XL has a coffee bean hopper with steeper sides than the Bes860XL. However, the capacity does not change. Bes870XL and Bes860XL have a 0.5 lb bean hopper and a 67 oz removable water tank.
It is a draw in this battle of Bes860XL vs Bes870XL.
Scroll down to know the most important criteria: features and accessories.
Features and Accessories
The Bes860XL is designed with a built-in conical burr grinder, which maximizes the surface area of the grinds and optimizes extraction of flavor.
Also, it boasts a digital temp control (PID), allowing you to adjust the temperature precisely and ensure optimal espresso extraction. This is a key feature in premium espresso machines, and we appreciate that Breville managed to equip it in the 860 model.
You are able to choose the grind size from fine to coarse and adjust the amount of freshly ground espresso via the dials on the front. All the controls are easy to find and use.
Other features include an espresso pressure gauge, a thermocoil heating system, a steam wand, an auto purge function, a removable drip tray, and a clean me light.
Meanwhile, the Bes870XL comes with a lot of improvements.
First, it has the same PID system as the Breville Bes860XL but offers you more control.
Second, there is a brand new hot water dispenser available. You can take advantage of this dispenser to make tea, americano, or even hot chocolate.
Third, to fix the problem of the machine drying up when left on idle, Breville introduced the auto shut-off function to the Bes870XL. After one hour not working, the machine will automatically sleep, and after three hours of inactivity, it will shut off. This comes in really handy, particularly when you forget to turn off the espresso machine.
The biggest improvement of the Bes870XL over the 860 model must be the ThermoCoil change. It works more effectively, allowing for faster heating up, cooling down and more precise temps.
Both models come with integrated tamper, milk jug, trimming tool, and cleaning kit. You can get down on making a flavorful cup of espresso right away without buying extra accessories.
So in the Breville BES870XL vs BES860XL comparison, the former wins.
Quick Rundown of Breville Bes870XL
- The Breville Barista Express delivers third wave specialty coffee at home using the 4 keys formula and is part of the Barista Series that offers all in one espresso machines with integrated grinder to go from beans to espresso in under one minute
- DOSE CONTROL GRINDING: Integrated precision conical burr grinder grinds on demand to deliver the right amount of freshly ground coffee directly into the portafilter for your preferred taste with any roast of bean
- OPTIMAL WATER PRESSURE: Low pressure pre-infusion gradually increases pressure at the start and helps ensure all the flavors are drawn out evenly during the extraction for a balanced tasting cup
- PRECISE ESPRESSO EXTRACTION: Digital temperature control (PID) delivers water at precisely the right temperature, ensuring optimal espresso extraction
- MANUAL MICROFOAM MILK TEXTURING: The powerful steam wand performance allows you to hand texture microfoam milk that enhances flavor and enables creation of latte art
- Steep coffee bean hopper
- Hot water dispenser available
- Auto shut-off function
- Effective ThermoCoil system
- Expensive water filter
Quick Rundown of Breville Bes860XL
- Stainless steel conical burr grinder with ½lb bean hopper
- 15 bar Italian pump
- 1450W stainless steel thermocoil heating system
- Adjustable grind size and grind amount settings
- Preset, manual over-ride or re-programmable shot volumes
- Affordable price
- Large water tank and bean hopper
- 1600W thermocoil heating system
- PID temp control equipped
- No auto shut-off function
- A bit hard to feed the beans
The Bottom Line
You can clearly see that Bes870XL is the better machine compared to its counterpart, the Bes860XL. It is understandable. Since the Bes870XL is a successor, it has a lot of upgrades and improvements in both design and features.
This is the end to our quick comparison of Breville Bes870XL vs Bes860XL.
Thanks for reading and do not forget to turn on the notifications so that you are notified of our upcoming posts.
Hot Topics You May Love:
- Breville Bes870bsxl Vs Bes870xl: Which One Is Worth Your Money?
- Breville BES870XL Vs BES920XL: Is The Later Version The Better?
- Breville BES840XL Vs BES870XL: Same Brand, Different Design