Having to choose between BES870 vs BES870XL makes you worried?
I understand your concern. Since the two products come from the same series of the same brand, they have many things in common. You must have a hard time telling them apart, let alone picking one.
My detailed comparison will help you. Scroll down.
Differences Between BES870XL vs BES920XL
Design and Convenience
As said above, both 870 and 920 models look similar in design. But if you take a close look, you can recognize the differences between them effortlessly.
For example, the 920XL dual boiler espresso machine boasts a backlit LCD screen that displays brew temp, shot clock or time. Its spout is placed in the middle rather than to the left like that of 870XL. These two features make using the 920 model more convenient.
The BES870XL has a dimension of 13.25 x 12.5 x 14.5 inches with a weight of 23 pounds. It is loved for the compact footprint, which also gives it an edge over its competitor.
To be specific, the BES920XL measures 15 x 15 x 16.25 inches and weighs 30 pounds. You can clearly see that it is larger and heavier than the 870XL. In other words, it takes up quite a lot of space on the kitchen countertop.
It is a draw in this round. The BES920XL loses when it comes to space but wins regarding convenience.
Capacity is a great criterion to compare espresso machines, particularly Breville BES870XL vs BES920XL.
The BES870XL boasts a 0.5 oz bean hopper along with a 67 oz water tank.
Meanwhile, its competitor comes with a large water reservoir of 84 oz. It does not have a bean hopper, however. Of course, this is not considered a drawback.
For the water capacity, it is undeniable that the BES920XL wins.
Features and Accessories
I will start from the shared features first.
Both BES870XL and BES920XL use a PID system that delivers the right temp for the best espresso extraction. This is a feature present in all Breville coffee makers. Also, they have an excellent steam wand that allows you to create quality microfoam for latte art.
Of course, each espresso machine has unique features that the other does not have.
The Barista Express 870 maker has a built-in grinder, so you do not need to spend extra time, effort, and money on searching and buying a quality grinder. On top of that, you can control the grind size and amount with ease via dials on the front.
Meanwhile, the 920XL has dual boilers and dual Italian pumps, which allow you to steam and extract espresso at the same time. And it boasts the convenient LCD display that I already talked about in the design section. Last but not least, there is a flexible shot timer and shot control.
When it comes to maintenance features, the BES870 has an edge. It indicates when the drip tray is full and goes into sleep automatically after being idle for a while. These are the functions that the 920 lacks.
The Barista 870XL is the one winning this part, since its set of features is more diverse and easy to use.
Quick Rundown Of BES870XL
- The Breville Barista Express delivers third wave specialty coffee at home using the 4 keys formula and is part of the Barista Series that offers all in one espresso machines with integrated grinder to go from beans to espresso in under one minute
- DOSE CONTROL GRINDING: Integrated precision conical burr grinder grinds on demand to deliver the right amount of freshly ground coffee directly into the portafilter for your preferred taste with any roast of bean
- OPTIMAL WATER PRESSURE: Low pressure pre-infusion gradually increases pressure at the start and helps ensure all the flavors are drawn out evenly during the extraction for a balanced tasting cup
- PRECISE ESPRESSO EXTRACTION: Digital temperature control (PID) delivers water at precisely the right temperature, ensuring optimal espresso extraction
- MANUAL MICROFOAM MILK TEXTURING: The powerful steam wand performance allows you to hand texture microfoam milk that enhances flavor and enables creation of latte art
- Sleek and stylish design
- Built-in burr grinder
- Auto shut-off function
- Expensive water filters
Quick Rundown Of BES920XL
- The Breville Dual Boiler with commercial features delivers third wave specialty coffee at home using the 4 keys formula; It has a professional Dual Boiler construction that delivers unparalleled temperature control and simultaneous extraction and steaming
- DOSE CONTROL GRINDING: Achieve a consistent and balanced espresso using the right amount of ground coffee; The 58mm porta-filter with 19-22 grams is the key for full flavor and third wave specialty coffee
- OPTIMAL WATER PRESSURE: The Over Pressure Valve limits the maximum pump pressure throughout extraction, helping prevent bitter flavors; Low pressure pre infusion gradually increases water pressure to gently expand grinds for an even extraction
- PRECISE ESPRESSO EXTRACTION: Dual stainless steel boilers and heated group head controlled by digital temperature control (PID) brings water to precisely the right temperature (+/- 2⁰F) to extract maximum flavor potential every time
- MANUAL MICROFOAM MILK TEXTURING: The steam wand performance allows you to hand texture microfoam milk of commercial machines that enhances flavor and is essential for creation of latte art
- Dual boilers and pumps
- Convenient LCD display
- Flexible shot control
- No shut-off function
- Quite large
The Bottom Line
My comparison between Breville BES870XL vs BES920XL has come to an end. Now you know which the winner is, right? It must be the BES870XL due to the compact footprint and handy features. I do not like the idea of having to shop for a separate grinder, so I will definitely go for the 870 model. But if you want to have more capacity, you may want to choose the 920XL.
Looking for more alternatives? Check out my reviews of the Breville BES900XL vs BES920XL here.
Thanks for reading.
Hot Topics You May Love:
- A Quick Comparison Of Breville BES870XL Vs BES860XL
- Breville Bes870bsxl Vs Bes870xl: Which One Is Worth Your Money?
- Breville BES900XL Vs BES920XL: A Full Comparison And Guide
- Breville BES840XL Vs BES870XL: Same Brand, Different Design
- Breville BES870XL Vs Delonghi EC9335M: Let’s Pick One